Desiccated coconut is the product that is obtained by drying the granulated or shredded while meat of the fully mature coconut kernel, by means of a mechanical air drying. Coconut is known outside the tropics mainly through the popularity oi desiccated coconut in cakes and chocolate bars. in fact according to industry experts there is excellent scope for production of coconut-based items such as desiccated coconut, coconut cream and coconut milk powder and packaged coconut tender water as a beverage.
What is desiccated Coconut?
- Desiccated Coconut powder is a free ﬂowing white powder made from pasteurized. homogenized and spray dried natural extract of coconut kernel.
- Desiccated Coconut Powder is obtained by drying ground or shredded coconut kernel after the removal of brown testa.
- It ﬁnds extensive use in confectioneries. puddings and many other food preparations as a substitute to raw grated coconut.
The de-shelling is completed by an unusual knife to obtain the kemel in the shape of a ball, which is pared using ‘scrapers lo take away the testa. The pared kernel balls are then slashed open to tap off the water and then cleaned carefully in fresh water to get rid of the invert sugars from the inner surface of the kemel.
The de-shelling is done by a special knife to get the kernel in the farm of a ball. which is pared using scrapers to remove the lesta. The pared kernel balls are then cut open to drain oﬁ the water and then washed thoroughiy in fresh water to remove the invert sugars from the inner surface of the kernel.
The kernel is then ground into a ﬁne mass using hammer or pin mills. The ground mass is blanched with live steam for about 20 minutes to bring clown the microbiological counts. The blanched mass is then dried in a hot air drier at a temperature of 80-90oC for about 10 hours so as to bring down the moisture content to below 3 per oent. The hot air drier is provided with a drying chamber consisting of a series of trays. which hold the feed. Hot air is blown into this chamber from an external source through blowers. The dried mass is tested for moisture, free fatty acid and microbiological counts. The product is packed in polythene pouches. The brown lesta obtained during paring of kemel can be dried and the oil extracted which is known as paring oil. The dried brown testa can also be mixed with oopra during the extraction of oil.
The process ﬂow chart ls as under :
- De husking of coconuts
- Deshelling and disintegration
Desiccated coconut can be used as an ingredient in savoury and sweet recipes both to impart a coconut flavour and texture and as a topping or coating. - Dried coconut is delicious eaten by itself as a snack, added to hot or cold cereal, and as an addition to baked goods. It can also be used in smoothies, sprinkled on salads, or stirred into sauteed vegetables. it is also a common ingredient in Thai and lndian dishes. - Sambhar, Cakes, Chutney, Fritters, stuffing in Pakodas, Pattice, Used to coat sweet balls. Gravies containing desiccated coconut are popuiar in Southern lndia. Desiccated or flaked coconut can be added to muesli, cookies, cereal breakfast.
How to Store
Due to less moisture content, the shelf life is longer compared to fresh coconut. It can be stored in plastic bags and refrigerated, will stay good for 6 months.
Coconut meat that has been dried or desiccated is very concentrated and has a low moisture content, which is the reason it has the highest total fat and saturated fat content. Foods rich in total fat and saturated fat have been identified as potential risk factors in the development of e variety of diseases of lifestyle, such as heart disease, certain cancers, obesity and diabetes. Good points - No cholesterol. Very low in sodium, high in manganese. Bad points Very high in saturated fat.
Why Is Dessicated Coconut Preferred Choice ?
Availability of know-how, Quality Standards and compliance
- Dessicated Coconut has tha natural goodness of frash coconut and is hygienically processed to give tha real state of real taste of fresh taste.
- It adds new ﬂavor to curries, chuttnies, gravies, stews, side-dishes, savories, cakes, sweets, pastries, ise-cream, Biscuits, Bakeries and confectionery delicacies.
- it is a total born to busy house wives and fast moving food production centers.
- Desiccated coconut is economical, easy to store and handle
- No artificial coloring, preservatives or ﬂavor is added.
- No Oil contents removed. True to the original coconut.
- CFTRI. Mysore. has successfully developed tha technological know-how
- BIS has speciﬁed quality standards vide IS 966:1962
- Compliance under PFA Act ls mandatory
lndians are using coconuts in foodstuff and nibble preparations since ancient time. Brand new coconuts have partial accessibility as well as shelf life once tneir shells are detached. for this reason. dried coconuts in lhe variety of Copra or coconut powder have become mess utilization substance owing to their ease of use round the year across the country. longer shelf life, decrease In wastage, suitable to trasport and freedom to the consumers to buy the required quantity. shriveled coconut is nol used in large amount In entity family but its main patrons are confectionery and biscuit industry, It is also used in the making of sweets, curry. many varieties of chutney, farsan and chikkies and many other cooking and niabble preparation. Thus. eating place, dhebas, cafeteria, sweet, farsan and chikki manufacturers. certain food processing units and caterers are bulk and regular consumers.
In global terms the major consumers for desiccated coconut are UK. West Germany. France. Nethrlands. USA and Australia, while the largest producers are Phillippines and Srl Lanka.
Dried coconut also known as coconut dust. is In dehydrated Form and has many uses. Its shelf ilfe is more and it is effortless to transport. Ease of use of fresh coconuts is adequate in coastal areas only and therefore dried coconut ls popular in all other region. Desiccated Coconut is generally by the following segments :
- Confectionery Industry
- Bakery Products
- Frozen Food Industry
- Food Processing Industry
- Food Service Industry
- Consumer Products Industry
Nutritionally desiccated coconut is not dissimilar from fresh coconut kernel. lt preserves all the traits of the drenched kernel including the nutrients. High-qualily desiccated coconut is crunchy, snowy in color wiih a sugary. pleasing and unsullied taste of the wet kernel.
- Dessicated coconut provides nutrients and a source of energy for you immune defense
- It also contains the raw materals your body uses to mount its antimicrobial defense
- It contains 69% coconut fat - an excellent source of healthy saturated fat
- Naturally high in lauric acid-the compound also found in breast milk-Which may help enhance the immune system
- Dehydrated using very Iow heat to keep nutrients and enzymes intact; dessicated coconut is dried at much higher temperatures (175°F) which kills off many nutrients.